Friday, October 23, 2009

Transformative Experience@your library

Omar Wasow, the keynote speaker at the ILA Opening General Session could have used the title of this post as the title of his presentation. I expected Mr. Wasow, a digital native, would talk about the uses of technology in the library and what will come in the future. Instead He spoke of the library as a gathering place, library as a public park for your brain, library space as the heart of community, and library as a transformative place for those who use them.

What struck me was that this message was very similar to the message I had heard last summer at the OCLC Symposium from speaker Joseph Michelli; I blogged about that presentation on July 10th.

A few years ago I was at a presentation given by Steven Abrams and someone asked how he picked out from all the information he scans the things to really watch. He said when he hears something three times in a short period of time, that’s when he takes a deeper look at it. I have taken that to heart and when finding myself hearing something two or three times I take note of it. The transformative experience and libraries is one of those topics.

Mr. Wasow made one statement that I want you all to think about. I’ll paraphrase; Librarians should celebrate the reading experience (a transformative experience), and not be so concerned with materials management.

Now, look at your library and its services. Does it provide a place where people can think, have an opportunity for self-directed learning, and transform themselves?

No comments:

Post a Comment