Thursday, September 17, 2009

Strategic Planning

Yesterday, I went to UIUC GSLIS. That is University of Illinois Urbana/Champaign Graduate School of Library and Information Science. I was asked by my friend Nancy Gillfillan to teach a session of her library administration class about planning. I have done this for her 5 or 6 times. Each time I have presented this information I had new information or I focused on the information is a different way.

Overall the presentation went well. There were 25 students in the class. They seemed engaged in the topic and asked some very good questions.

Why with my schedule, do I take the time to teach this class? First I know the topic pretty well and can bring a practical look to a sometimes theoretical topic in library school. Second it keeps me up to date on the process being used for planning. And third but most important it allows me to give back to the library profession. I have an opportunity to have a little impact on the future generation of librarians.

If you have an opportunity to teach a class or present at a program; don’t say no right away. Think about it; share your expertise with others. It’s a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment